We’re back on the convention trail at the end of this month, going to the first ever Wonderlands Graphic Novel Expo.
Wonderlands takes place on Saturday 30 May (10am – 8pm) at the CitySpace at the University of Sunderland. And it’s free. And it’s going to be awesome!!!
Want proof? Well, aside from the fact that we’ll be there, Wonderlands also features some people you may know:
- Darryl Cunningham, creator of Supercrash, the graphic novel of the global financial crisis, and the evergreen Science Tales
- Steve Bell, award-winning cartoonist and political commentator, most frequently seen in The Guardian
- Comics Laureate Dave Gibbons who has worked on most of the iconic comic franchises you can name and had a little something to do with Watchmen
- Dr Mel Gibson, senior lecturer at Northumbria University, educator and evangelist for all things comics
- Posy Simmonds, creator of Tamara Drewe, Gemma Bovery and many many more titles for adults and children
- Bryan Talbot, one man comics factory with a credit list too long to cover. Alice in Sunderland, the Grandeville series, the incredible The Tale of One Bad Rat, start with those and come back to me when you’ve finished….
- Mary Talbot, Costa-Award-winning writer of Dotter of Her Father’s Eyes, an incredible graphic memoir, and writer of Sally Heathcote: Suffragette, a brilliant and insightful history of the fight for women’s votes.
And so so many more….!
It’s a whole day dedicated to the graphic novel and NOT TO BE MISSED!!
In other news – and just as important – Disconnected’s own Conor Boyle has a new comic out this weekend. Entitled UnEarth, it’s a collaboration with writer and colorist John Paul Bove and is a suitably dark story of archaeological discovery…. There’s a five page preview available (if the link doesn’t work, find the UnEarth page on Facebook) and you can get your hands on a copy this weekend at MCM London at the Excel Centre (look for John Paul Bove’s table). Here’s a sneak preview of the preview: